The historic Municipal Fish Market at the D.C. Wharf reopened on Saturday after District officials shutdown the famous seafood spot last weekend.
On April 4th, the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) forced the market to close late afternoon after photos and videos went viral on social media, showing the packed seafood place with very little social distancing practiced.
The pictures of the crowd appeared after the District, Maryland, and Virginia leaders enforced “Stay at home” orders as part of the region’s fight against the coronavirus pandemic.
Captain White Seafood City’s Facebook page on Friday said they would be reopening again from 8 am to 8 pm on Saturday with new safety measures put in place.
There are ALREADY people in line. Captain White Seafood City said on FB they reopen today BUT w/important changes after photos showing a packed market led @dcra to shut it down last weekend: https://t.co/Z28aNChxpi
— Stephanie Ramirez (@RamirezReports) April 11, 2020
After the emergency closure, city officials stated that they would give the Fish Market operators a chance to reopen. The owners had to submit a healthy COVID-19 safety plan that had to approved by DCRA.
Security guards informed customers that they are only allowing 20 people in at a time. Customers will not be to enter without a mask or face over. The owners of the Captain White Seafood City asked for people to leave their children and senior citizens at home. One sign reads that on;y two members per family would be allowed in.
“Everything is moving great!!,” read an afternoon Facebook post from Captain White Seafood City’s page.“Please call ahead if you can. It will make our time faster. We had a great shipment of crats just come in!”
Here’s the list of markets DCRA approved to remain open:
- Arcadia Mobile Market at Oxon Run Market has a waiver to operate Friday from 3:00 to 5:00 pm
- Arcadia Mobile Market at Deanwood Recreation Center has an exemption to work on Saturday between 10 am and noon.
- Chevy Chase Farmers Market at Lafayette Elementary School Courtyard has been granted a waiver to operate on Saturday between 9 am and 1 pm
- Farmers Market SW at 425 M Street SW has an exemption to run on Saturday between the hours of 9 am and 1 pm
- FRESHFARM Monroe Street Farmers Market at the Brookland Arts Walk has been granted a waiver to work on Saturday 9 am and 1 pm
- Maret Farmers Market at 3000 Cathedral St. NW has an exemption to operate on Saturday between 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
- FRESHFARM H ST NE MARKET at 13 and H Streets NE has been given an exemption to work on Saturday from 9 am to 12 pm
- Mt Pleasant Farmers Market at 17th St NW and Lamont St NW has granted a waiver to operate on Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm
- FRESHFARM Columbia Heights Farmers Market has been given an exemption to work on Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm at 14th & Park St. NW
- FRESHFARM Dupont Circle Farmers Market at 1501 20th St NW has granted a waiver to operate on Sunday from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm.
- Palisades Farmers Market at 48th Place and MacArthur Boulevard NW has granted a waiver to operate on Sunday between 9 am and 1 pm