October 2nd, 2020, seemed to be the night of unexpected music drops from various artists. From rapper 21 Savage down to a new R&B song from Ella Mai and Jhene Aiko being on Tiny Desk.
1. Megan Thee Stallion release a new song with Young Thug called “Don’t Stop.” She also released a visual for the new music that dropped at midnight. The video featured an Alice in Wonderland theme with a twist of sex appeal. This video was far from PG-13 showcasing Sexy outfits inspired by the iconic clothes from the movie; choreography with twerking, even an appearance from the Cheshire Cat with some interesting cameos. The 4-minute video was released a week after Tory Lanez released an album with Megan The Stallion as the hot topic still spectating fans on what happened in late July. Fans were hoping Megan to address Tory’s side of the story, but Megan is moving full speed ahead with new music and ventures. She is set to perform on SNL on October 3rd,2020, and just made the cover of TIME magazine.
2. A long-awaited sophomore album from Bryson Tiller has finally dropped called “ANNIVERSARY.” This new album features ten tracks with one collab song called Outta Time with Drake. This album is also coming off of the actual fifth anniversary of Bryson Tillers “TRAP SOUL.” He released a deluxe version of the album with three new unreleased songs: “Just Another Interlude,” “Self Righteous,” and “Rambo: (Last Blood)” ft. The Weeknd. Tiller also hosted a listening party with his fans via Zoom the night before its release. Anniversary and Trap Soul: the deluxe album is available on all streaming platforms.
3. Jhene Aiko collaborate with Tiny Desk to give a concert in quarantine. Jhene started her Tiny Desk performance with Lotus ( intro) and set the mood with chakra bowls. She performed hits from her albums like W.A.Y.S and summer 2020. The 18-minute performance was placed in a stagelike room with a live band that took the precautions of COVID by wearing a face mask standing six feet apart. This is different for Tiny Desk, whose setting is typically an office-like cubicle with an audience. Jhene also did a few acapella segway into songs such as Eternal Sunshine. She wore a light pastel emerald color dress in a mermaid style with a slit on the side, giving a touch of elegance to the new virtual crowd. Jhene Aiko’s tiny desk performance was the first quarantine edition show for NPR.
4. Ella Mai released a new solo project called “not another love song”. This is her first solo project in two years. Ella Mai told her fans via social media about her musical comeback with a photo of her in the studio with her dog and captioned it “Thierry’s reaction when he found out new music is coming before Scorpio season”.
The song can be heard on all musical platforms like Apple Music and Spotify. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30WQefSF3Ks
5. 21 Savage and Metro Boomin patterned up again to release Savage Mode 2. The first savage mode was released in 2016, which featured songs like X and no heart. In the past few months, both artists have been teasing fans with photos in the studio and dropping hints that a potential collab was coming. The demand for Savage mode 2 was so high fans launched a petition in September to release the project, and it had over 28,000 signatures. The follow-up album has 15 tracks and has collaborations with artists like Young Thug, Young Nudy, and Drake.
6. Teyana Taylor reveals a new visual for her song concrete. From “The Album,” Teyana has been getting her directing credits creating diverse mini-movies for other artists as well as self-directing visuals such as this new video. Teyana has recently stated,” “Sometimes I love creating for others more than I love creating for myself… With directing, I get to actually sit behind the lens and really help our artists bring a vision to life.” in regards to her new directing venture. The video features a pregnant Teyana Taylor co-starring with her husband, Iman Shumpert, in a 4 minute visual of a complicated love-hate battle between them. The two flip between passionate arguing to lovemaking to match the lyrics in the song and concept of the Ups and downs of a relationship, almost like talking to a concrete wall. This video is also coming off Teyana’s premiere visual for her son 1-800 one night. Teyana has also dropped this video on the day of her fifth anniversary to her husband.
Stream “Concrete” on Teyana’s “The Album” Now: http://TeyanaTaylor.lnk.to/TheAlbum