Protests turned violent outside the Washington, DC police station after the death of 20-year-old Karon Hylton

Protests in Washington DC sparked violent demonstrations in response to the death of 20-year-old Karon Hylton, who died in an accident after being chased by police for riding without a helmet on the sidewalk.

Several officers were injured Wednesday evening during the protests in front of the Fourth District Police Station. It was also reported that some arrests have been made.

A video posted online also appears to show police shooting some kind of tear gas at Hylton’s mother.

Police say six police cruisers were damaged as well as some windows at the Walmart next door.

Police also say protesters were throwing explosive devices at officers, all while setting fires to trashcans up and down Georgia Avenue.


Karon Hylton, 20, died Monday, three days after the Friday night police pursuit, which ended in him “colliding” with a passenger vehicle.

The chase began just after 10 p.m. when officers caught Hylton riding helmetless on the sidewalk on Kennedy Street in the Northwest Washington neighborhood of Brightwood Park.

When cops attempted a traffic stop, Hyton zipped through a nearby alley, turned back onto Kennedy Street, and “collided with a passenger vehicle,” the Metropolitan Police Department said.

On Thursday, police released body camera footage showing the fatal car crash. Mayor Muriel Bowser said four of the officers involved in the pursuit of 20-year-old Karon Hylton have been placed on leave.

The footage, captured by the body camera of a Metropolitan Police Department officer riding in the passenger seat of a police vehicle, shows the officers pursuing Hylton as he rides away. The chase continues for nearly two minutes, with the officers frequently flashing their lights. As Hylton exits an alley on the moped, the footage shows him colliding with a non-police vehicle and falling to the ground.

The video does not appear to show any collisions prior to Hylton’s fatal crash, despite earlier claims from Hylton’s friends that police hit the back of the moped and pushed him into the oncoming car.

Leave A Comment