Attorney, David Haynes, speaks out for the family of Isaiah Brown who was fatally shot ten times by a Sheriff’s Deputy in Spotsylvania. Haynes informs WJLA News, the officer gave Brown a ride just minutes before the shooting.
“Not a violent situation, it was not a situation involving friction. This was a situation where the Deputies in fact did a good deed by giving him a ride to his home because his vehicle was broken down and it was another call for help because they assisted him the first time and he didn’t know where else to turn,” said Haynes.
The Brown family is calling for all full body camera footage and the audio to be released between the dispatcher center and deputies who were responding to the call. As well as all audio that was recorded earlier that evening and transcripts of all written communication that was recorded on the monitor in the sheriff’s squad car. A formal form has been submitted to the Sheriff’s office for these releases. There was an earlier encounter with Brown and the Deputy just moments before the shooting, but that information is preliminary. Haynes has filed a Freedom of Information request to get that audio recording prior to the breakdown of Brown’s vehicle.
“Isaiah brown had made clear, a full 90 seconds or more before the Deputies arrived on the scene that he was unarmed and did not have a weapon,” said Haynes.
Brown told the 911 dispatcher that he was not carrying a gun. He was, however, carrying his cordless phone in his hand.
“It was a full 90 seconds before he said he had no gun and he was unarmed and clearly the cordless phone should have been identity as just that, a cordless phone,” said Haynes.
As the two Deputies arrived on the scene, it was dark in the foreground, which made it hard to see Brown, but all the while, Brown was on the phone with 911. One deputy instructed Brown to put his hands up. Brown followed all commands, however, the deputies made terrible basic policing errors; they did not wait for back up, they did not properly light the situation with the light bar on the vehicle, they did not use the spotlight properly as far as Haynes and investigators could tell on the video, and they overreacted to the situation.
“The deputy that did shoot Isaiah Brown ten times acted totally negligently and irresponsible and overreacted to the scene,” said Haynes.
For these reasons the deputy who yelled out to Brown, shot him ten times leaving him in critical condition. After shooting Brown, the Deputy performed CPR, as he trained to do.
“It’s a lot to process. I’m numb, I think we’re all kind of numb because like I said this is my brother, this is an uncle, this is a son, this is a fiancé. He got nieces, he’s a great uncle. It’s just a lot…It’s just a lot,” said Yolanda Brown, Isaiah’s sister.
Brown was a home health aid, working out in the community taking care of people. He comes from a family where they believe in doing what they can for anybody. He was the life of the party, known for his smile, always there to try and help, and he loves children. He has a good heart and an overall good person.
Communication is key when dispatchers are sending officers to scenes where a gun might be present. Officers need all of the correct information in order to properly assist in situations like these. The Deputies were more than likely on high alert because of the communication error between dispatch and the Deputy. There had been a discussion with the dispatcher and Brown of a possible gun in the home which was locked up.
“Because of misinformation and failure of communication between dispatch and the road Deputies, as we, unfortunately, have seen serval times before in this country, that’s a key piece of communication for the Deputies,” said Haynes.
According to the trauma surgeons at the local hospital in Fredericksburg, they have informed the Brown Family that there were ten bullets inside Brown’s body. Two were removed at the second trauma surgery and eight bullets still remain. He is on a breathing machine currently and the family has been informed he is in critically guarded condition.
“It’s very important when we’re dispatching law enforcement out to a scene like this that they have the full information. He was on the call with 911,” said Haynes.
The family asks that the Sheriff not make comments about Brown’s medical and physical condition. He is not authorized by the family to do so and the information that has been put out by the Sheriff has been inaccurate and it has been misleading.
“The Sheriff has reported various times Brown was only shot once or a few times. He’s also reported that he was in a non-life-threatening condition, this is not true,” said Haynes.
In a press release Monday, The Brown Family thanks all the churches, organizations, family and friends, and all those who reached out to them. They appreciate the love and support and would like the prayers to continue coming in.
“As a whole, right now this country is divided. It’s not one race, it’s a lot of minorities that walk in daily fear. It’s a fear that nobody should have to feel. We don’t have any hate in our hearts or prejudice towards anyone neither does my brother. The hearts that we have is for everyone,” said Yolanda.
Brown should be working, caring for elderly patients as he did, but instead, his family was joined by the local NAACP Chapter, the support of Black Lives Matter, and the Local Clergy in the press release to talk about this incident. The family and the community appreciate their support.
“In conclusion, this is an incident that should have never had to happen,” said Haynes.
There are many questions the Brown Family wants to be answered. They ask for full transparency in this matter and all information to come out.
“My concern at this point is just for my son to hopefully come home alive,” said Jennifer Brown, Isaiah’s mother.
Brown’s brother, who was home at the time of the shooting, didn’t witness the shooting but is cooperating with investigative authorities. Virginia State Police is taking over the investigation and not the Sheriff’s Office. A special Prosecutor, Mr. Richardson, has been appointed to the case.

About Victoria Turrentine

Victoria Turrentine was born and raised in Prince George's County. Graduating from Washington Adventist University with a B.A. in Print Journalism, she followed her passion and became a writer for The DMV Daily. She continues her love for writing through screenwriting and storytelling.

View all posts by Victoria Turrentine